top of page
Landing Page Background (4).png

Not sure what program is right for you or your child? Fill out our inquiry form or contact

Direct Instruction

TIPES offers individualized one-on-one services for students from elementary to high school utilizing programs created by the National Institute for Direct Instruction. Direct instruction is a model for teaching that emphasizes well-developed and carefully planned lessons designed around small learning increments and clearly defined teaching tasks. It is based on the theory that clear instructions can eliminate misinterpretations and greatly improve and accelerate learning.  

There are four main features of direct instruction that ensure learners learn faster and more efficiently than any other tutoring programs or technique available: 


1. Learners are placed in instruction at their skill level through a preliminary placement test. 

2. The program’s structure is designed to ensure mastery of the content.  

  • The program is organized so that skills are introduced gradually, giving learners a chance to learn those skills and apply them before being required to learn another new set of skills.  

  • Only 10% of each lesson is new material, the remaining 90% of each lesson’s content is review and application of previously learned skills.   

  • Skills and concepts are taught in isolation and then integrated with other skills into more sophisticated, higher-level applications.


3. Instruction is modified to accommodate each learner’s rate of learning.  

  • Educators can provide the additional instruction within the program to ensure learners master a challenging skill.  

  • Learners can be moved to a new placement if the current skill level is too easy. 

4. Programs are field tested and revised before publication.  

Direct Instruction programming typically includes:  

  • A coherent progression of key topics in the targeted subject area with an emphasis on proficiency to ensure optimal learning and achievement. 

  • Explicit educator-directed instruction sets an expectation for learners’ involvement and gives the learner the direction and support to be successful.

  • Scripted lessons to guide educators through carefully constructed instructional steps, including modeling new content, providing guided practice, offering individualized practice, and applying skills.

  • Signals are used to keep learners involved, help them stay on task and help with lesson pacing. 

  • Ongoing assessments help the senior therapist to identify and differentiate instruction to meet every learner’s needs. 

  • Each level of the program typically spans one academic year.

bottom of page